Had a doctors visit to check my white blood count levels since first chemo treatment. She said my levels are really low, extremely low and that I should avoid any crowds. She told me I have a low grade fever. I thought, "Really? I'm feeling great!" No church, school activities and wash, wash our hands. This is not what I wanted to hear.
I was having a sad moment this morning because I hate missing my kids activities. Kiersten had a talk in primary last Sunday, Caleb spoke at the Blue and Gold Banquet last night, Cameron has his 5th grade Math Team Competition happening right now, Makenna is a Little Sister for Junior Miss tonight and tomorrow and Caleb and Makenna will have two track meets this week. I'm so sad to miss all of these events. I asked her if I could please attend Junior Miss tomorrow if I found a way to sit away from everyone and wear a mask and she said I could. I realize that I won't even see Makenna until the end but atleast she'd know her mom is in the audience supporting her. I realize this is just a short amount of time in the grand scheme of things and that what I'm doing is more important for my kids later, but it's still hard. I drove to school today, for the first time in weeks, and had Cameron meet me in front of the school at my car to give him some treats before he left for his competition. Just wanted him to know that his mom was thinking of him and wishing she was there.
So... we have some new rules at our house
that EVERYONE must follow.
You should see these signs on our front door.
Our mom is busy fighting cancer, so we have some new rules at our house. The chemo has weakened her immune system so we have to be extra careful. Please read and obey the rules before visiting.
New Rules:
1. Everyone must wash their hands with soap and water when entering our house.
2. If you feel ANY cold symptoms: sore throat, cough, runny nose, congestion, flu...please reschedule.
3. If you have young children in your home, you must wear a mask.
A cute friend of mine dropped these signs off the other day
to hang from my front door knob:
They say:
1. Hooray I am having a "Great Day" Visitors Welcome
2. Please DO NOT Disturb Busy Beating Cancer
3. Knock Quietly If I am awake I will come to the door. If I am resting PLEASE leave a note so I know that you stopped by to say "Hi."
Then she attached a magnet to a ziplock bag with a notepad and pen. Isn't that so clever.
She said, "Basically, I currently have no immunue system to fight anything off. I need to watch my fever and if it rises even one point I will end up in the emergency room, even though I feel great!" So current goal is to lay low, like I have been all week, and stay out of the hospital until next round of chemo.



Hard to keep a good woman down in more ways than one.
ReplyDeleteBecky I just love reading your blog. You are so inspiring. Even though I can't be there to help in any way, know that you have a family in Missouri praying for you! Last night my 3 ur old said "bless cousin Becky to do a good job on her mission." We all laughed. She mixed you and Dallin up (he's serving a mission in Texas.) but afterwards I thought, she actually is on a mission. A mission to beat cancer. So we bless you on your mission. Love from The Swensens :)
ReplyDeleteI was at the Blue and Gold Banquet when Caleb spoke to the Cub Scouts. He had the boys come gather around and sit in front of him on the floor. It was so cute to see their wide-eyed admiration for a man in uniform! He did a great job on his talk, and the younger boys couldn't have been more mesmerized if he'd been a movie star. In their eyes, he was their hero. So cute!!! I should have taken a video and sent it to you! We love you and your family. Love Tamlee McGary
ReplyDeleteI saw Sarah today and sent a hug with her to you. Sending love always.
ReplyDeleteEven though my situation was oh so different than yours I know how you feel when it comes to missing your kids activities. It broke my heart, that I couldn't be there for them. I hope you can remain fever free and have more good days than bad. We love you and are praying you and your whole family!
ReplyDeleteBecky, we are all praying for you. I put your name in the Boise Temple again. Know that you are recieving help from this side of the veil and the other side too! Love you, Aunt Caroline
ReplyDelete