Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Stage 3 Let the Radiation Begin

So almost a month has passed since my last post. My drains were pulled on August 18th, on our way out of town for our family vacation. I would have posted about that sooner but I was on vacation. I was nervous about getting them pulled but it was much easier then expected and they were a lot longer then I thought; a good 15 inches long. Weird to see something like that getting pulled out of you while your watching it. Then they just put a band-aid over the hole and send you on your way. Surprised to get them both pulled the same day but sooo nice to have them gone!! Happy start to our vacation.

We rented a log home by North Bend and the kids had lots of fun: school shopping, fishing, riding bikes, playing games, hiking and eating good food. I even went to my other cancer appointment at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. It was nice to be in the mountains but I was exhausted each day. Going from short movements in my house to walking a mall or mountain was fun but very tiring.






This week I started my next stage of events. I have trouble raising my arms after surgery and even though it's been four weeks, numbness and swelling prevail in areas all over my chest. The incisions are healing nicely but my surgeon recommended going to physical therapy. So I got to meet my physical therapist on Monday. I'm feeling like we're going to have a love/hate relationship. I hate the therapy but will love how it makes me feel later, so I'm told. She says I have long thoracic nerve palsy on my right side and axillary cording/axillary web syndrome on my left side. 

After she went over all my history and paperwork, she proceeded to work on me. She didn't have much time because I told her I needed to leave by 2 to make sure I was home by the time my kids got home of the bus. It was their first day of school. She warned me that when she usually works on people with these symptoms there tends to be some cracking and popping noises. I think I just tried to block that part out of my memory but it quickly came back to my remembrance after she simply placed her thumb under my left underarm and pressed deeply. I remember hearing this cracking and popping noise and instantly thinking, "that must be what she's talking about, and then feeling a wave of pain run down my arm." It literally took my breath away.  She proceeded to press her thumb down the length of my arm and reminded me to keep breathing. Wow! I then proceeded to breath as if I was in the last stages of labor while she proceeded to work on both arms. Again, Wow! She then said, "By the way, I don't think I've told you my name. When you like me,  you can call me CJ. When you don't like me, you can call me Casey. I said, "Casey...I think I might cry." She smiled and said, "let's take a little break." Next time, which is tomorrow, I'm taking Ibuprofen before I go.

Tuesday I had my radiation consultation. Visited with doctor, watched video showing radiation procedure, then had CT scan. Plan is to start radiation after I take Rachael to college next week. It will be every day for 6 1/2 weeks. So hopefully I will be done the first week of November. Side effects are mostly fatigue, skin reactions such as sunburn and blistering but skin will heal quickly within a couple weeks.

A problem that may arise after treatment for breast cancer is swelling of the arm on the side of treatment. So in my case, both arms. This is called Lymphedema and is caused by the loss or damage of underarm lymph nodes and their connecting vessels. It occurs because circulation of lymph fluid is slowed in the arm, making it harder to fight infection. Signs can show years after surgery. I was told to follow these SIMPLE rules: (Notice the emphasis on simple)

  • Avoid sunburns.
  • Have all injections, vaccinations, blood samples, and blood pressure tests done on the other arm whenever possible. (In my case, on my ankles or feet, fun!)
  • Use an electric razor with a narrow head for underarm shaving to reduce the risk of nicks or scratches.
  • Carry heavy packages or handbags on the other arm.
  • Wash cuts promptly, treat them with antibacterial medication, and cover them with a sterile dressing; check often for redness, soreness, or other signs of infection.
  • Never cut cuticles; use hand cream or lotion.
  • Wear watches or jewelry loosely, if at all, on the operated arm.
  • Wear protective gloves when gardening and when using strong detergents, etc.
  • Use a thinble when sewing.
  • Avoid harsh chemicals and abrasive compounds.
  • Use insect repellent to avoid bites and stings.
  • Avoid elastic cuffs on blouses and nightgowns.
IS THIS ALL FOR REAL! There's a reason they don't tell you everything in the beginning. They will monitor me carefully and if I show signs of Lymphedema starting I will need massage and wrapping therapy. Maybe I should just start routine massages just to make sure. :)

My hair is slowly coming back though many people have replied how fast it's coming in. So glad to have eyelashes and eyebrows again. 


Just heard news this last week that my neighbor, Steve Danz, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. There is no cure for this. They've asked that everyone pray that their insurance will accept the clinical chemo that will prolong his life. Please add him to your prayer list if you haven't already. It's hard to see someone I know going through similar experiences that I've just gone through but Steve is very positive and that will help him immensely through his fight. 


Love you all and thank you for your continued prayers and support to me and my family!!

6 comments:

  1. You are amazing Becky! Praying for Steve and his family. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update! Makenna told me the other day that Rachael is leaving next week. I will be praying extra hard as you maneuver that transition. My Dad had lymphedema after he was burned. We learned to wrap his arms so that the lymph nodes could drain. He hasnt had a reoccurrence!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To those who haven't seen her hair, it is so cute! Someone even randomly told her that they loved her haircut the other day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear Rebecca, you are continually in my prayers every day. This "Goliath-sized" wall is not insurmountable, because you are courageously climbing it stone by stone. No path, or wall, formidable as they may seem, is ever impassable when we have the loving aide of our Savior by our side❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Derek's going to be jealous when he sees your hair. I want a front view though😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs for you and your family. Rachel is so cute. Visited with her on Sunday before she left for school. You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete